Day 1
Breakfast-cereal bar
Lunch-instant cup o soup
Snack-trail mix
Dinner-Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup
Everyone did really good, no whining or griping, and the kids didn't even ask for any other food or sancks. I think they felt like it was a challenge, like something that would take plalce on Survivor. For the most part, it was very satisfying and no one felt hungry.
Day2
Breakfast-Pop Tarts
Lunch-ramen
Snack-peanuts
Dinner-individual canned dinner
Ok...the excitement has worn off, but the kids are still determined to live off the food in our kits. I had put a pack of tic tacs and a couple of jolly rancher candies in each kit and that really helped when someone wanted a little sweet treat.
Day 3...we were rescued by family! Hooray! Roy's Dad and his dad's wife came into town to visit for a few days so we ended the experiment early. I don't think any of us was too upset! I can say that I'm pretty sure we would have all been hungry on day 3 because all we had left was a granola bar for breakfast, a piece of jerky (that was pretty much petrified), and some peanuts for lunch, another piece of jerky for a snack and a canned dinner for dinner. Like I told the kids, if this was all there was to eat and most people didn't have anything, we would be really happy with our 72 hour kits. Then both Beau and Bailey said the sweetest thing, almost in unison they both said "we'd share our food with them wouldn't we"! It was a great experiment!


5 comments:
I cant imagine Beau saying that. But im sure glad I missed out on this event even though it sounded really..uh..cool. Im glad your prepared though :]
kim- thank you so much for doing this experiment because of your family my family might be able to survive for 3 more days. i told dave to take all our stuff and go camp out somewhere and then when he gets back let me know what we need to make things more homey if we're ever in a crappy situation! as far as i am concerned i want to be dead and gone before getting into my 72 hour kit or my food storage:)-
Interesting experiment...that's cute that your kids where so excited about it.
That's a really good idea. That's neat that they really wanted to give it a try. I'm sure by day 3 I would want to be rescued too!
That's great that you did that! I need to get it together and finish our kits. I have pretty much all the things you would need for one, I just haven't put anything together. It's also a great lesson for the kids!
Post a Comment