Thursday, September 25, 2008

Kicking the Habit!!!

Well...I've been down with a UTI since last Friday. I knew I was pretty sick when I didn't even want to drink my good ol' diet pepsi! I felt so bad and was really trying to flush my kidneys out, so I really pumped in the water and cranberry juice all day Fri., Sat. and even Sunday. I think I only had 2 or 3 cans of soda the whole weekend! For those of you who know me...you know that is a record for me! For those who don't know me so well, I'll just say this...I have a little refrigerator in my bedroom that is stocked with diet soda, and my alarm clock is the sound of Roy popping open his morning can of soda! For years and years I have known that all the stuff in diet soda isn't good for you, I've read the articles on how bad aspartame is for you, my brain knew it wasn't good to be drinking 3-4 big gulps a day, but my brain was just as addicted as I was!

I don't know if it was all the Motrin and Tylenol I had been taking all weekend or if I just felt bad in general, but I didn't really feel the terrible withdrawals (the headaches, irritability and cravings) that I have had in the past when I've tried to "kick my habit." I know, I know...I sound like a druggie! I'm pretty sure caffeine is a drug, at least in the quantities I ingest, and I loved the carbonation too...that's why other beverages just could never stack up to my good old diet soda! Anyway...by Monday, I had realized that without even trying and not really even meaning to...I had begun to wean myself off the "hard stuff!" I couldn't quit now, I was already over the hump! Well, it's Thur. night and I haven't relapsed yet!!! I'm not giving it up totally...that would be just crazy!!! But I am limiting myself to 1 per day! It might be 1 can, 1 glass, or even 1 big gulp, but for now, just 1 soda per day! So....I'm not saying goodbye to my diet soda, just... "see you around!"

12 comments:

Misty said...

Oh, Kimmie....I'm so proud of you. But what will we do on the beach with our pistachios and beef jerkey. Keep up the good work.

Danni said...

MOM!! Im so proud!! Haha you and Misty will just have to stick with Crush soda's on the beach or something. But keep up the good work! Love you

Danni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
scrumdiddillyumptious said...

I can't believe you have had no headaches! Unfair! i get them even after one sip the next day...oh well good job keep on trucking!

kellie said...

We have the same page design! I too am addicted, which you know you are when you are actually SCARED to stop drinking it! I have my breakfast diet pepsi every day! And for dessert, Diet Dr Pepper. Good luck friend!

Andi said...

Yeah for comments!

I've never heard of the fridge in the bedroom before (except in a dorm room). That seems a tad too accessible? Just like that chocolate stash under my bed? ;)

Good luck...

Allison said...

Good for you!!! Although, I don't think I could totally give it up either!

Heather said...

Hey, I'm so excited you have a blog! It's good to see all is well. Keep up the good work!

Pattie D said...

Yeah!
Good for you! I know this was a hard thing, but I hope it makes you feel better in the long run....these bodies..I guess that was part of the plan, right??? LOL
Yea, I think I should be wearing a sweatshirt and warm socks...where is that weather? I have never seen a bug like that it was huge! Thanks for stopping by...take care, I miss coming and seeing you
hugs
tricia

Elisha said...

Thanks for finding my blog. Your family is so beautiful. It was nice chatting with you last week. Nice to catch up. Now I can keep tabs on you guys. ;)

Heather said...

Nice blog, I'm glad you commented on mine today so that I could find yours!

Sunny Duron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.